The wildly prolific band of Montreal has assumed many forms over its twenty-plus years of existence. The one constant, other than a notoriously wild live show, is the presence of songwriter/singer/multi-instrumentalist Kevin Barnes. of Montreal’s highly regarded 2007 LP Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? finds Barnes grappling with his mental health in the face of a crumbling relationship, a first child, and a lot of time spent in the dark winter of Norway. On this episode of Critically Acclaimed, host Jake Ramirez and Community Radio Tapes co-founder/Sea Grapes fronter Luke Janke dig into the origin of the album, Barnes’ questionable alter ego, and the brilliance of the 12-minute album centerpiece.
- Performance Breakdown: Of Montreal’s Kevin Barnes Interviewed | The Quietus (2010)
- Of Montreal Interviewed: Cross Dressing and Skeletal Lamping | The Quietus (2008)
- of Montreal’s Kevin Barnes, The TVD Interview | The Vinyl District (2014)
- Of Montreal: The Surreal Life | Rolling Stone (2008)
- Interview: Kevin Barnes from Of Montreal | Spectrum Culture (2011)
- No Hisses | Memphis Flyer (2007)
- Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? Turns 10 | Stereogum